Wenner-Gren Fellowship in Anthropology and Black Experiences
The application process is administered by the School for Advanced Research (SAR). All application materials must be submitted through the SAR online application system. Emailed, mailed, or faxed application materials, including letters of recommendation, are not accepted. Supplementary materials will not be considered. In fairness to all applicants, we do not grant on- or off-campus interviews.
Online applications are accepted from September 1 through the first Monday in November each year. Only fully completed applications that adhere to SAR’s guidelines and deadlines will be considered.
All proposal components should be in 12-point type with at least 1-inch margins on all sides. Applicants must create an account on the online application system before materials can be uploaded for submission.
All applications must include:
- An abstract, not to exceed 200 words, describing the purpose and goals of the project.
- A proposal, no more than 4 one-and-a-half spaced pages in length, describing the research project, key questions to be addressed, methodologies, and significance. The proposal should also explain what is to be accomplished during the fellowship year and the status of the applicant’s research on the topic. Please include a discussion of how this support will allow you to succeed at a critical juncture in your career.
- A short bibliography, not to exceed one single-spaced page, of references cited in the proposal.
- A curriculum vitae, not to exceed 3 single-spaced pages.
- Three letters of recommendation, not to exceed two pages in length each. Letters must be requested and submitted through the online application process and uploaded by the application deadline. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that references send their letters on time. Additional reference checks may be conducted for finalists.