- Applicants must be currently enrolled for a doctoral degree.
- Application must be made jointly with a dissertation supervisor or other scholar who will undertake responsibility for supervising the project.
- Qualified doctoral students are eligible without regard to nationality or institutional or departmental affiliation.
- Grant funds cannot be released unless the applicant has successfully completed all requirements for the doctoral degree other than the dissertation/thesis. Applications may be submitted before the completion of such requirements; however, all requirements other than the dissertation/thesis must be completed before the start date for the research given by the applicant on the application form. If the application is successful, the Foundation will request confirmation that this requirement has been met.
- Dissertation Fieldwork applications that were unsuccessful in a prior funding cycle may be resubmitted only if they are accompanied by a resubmission statement, explaining how the application is different from the prior application and how the referees' comments have been addressed.
- If a Dissertation Fieldwork grant is awarded, the applicant and supervisor must agree to comply with the Requirements and Conditions of the Dissertation Fieldwork Grant.