History of the Foundation

View grantees in the Image Library

International Symposium on Anthropology presentation
"International Symposium on Anthropology," New York 1952. Faces Visible, left to right: Floyd Lounsbury, Irven Rouse, Carlos Monge, Jose Cruxent, William Caudill, and Sherwood Washburn.

The first Wenner-Gren Symposia -- "International Symposium on Anthropology" held in May 1952, and "Man's Role in Shaping the Face of the Earth," held in June 1955 -- were ambitious undertakings that brought together scores of anthropologists across all sub-disciplines and from around the globe, to inventory the cumulative knowledge within anthropology, within the discipline as a whole and closely related sciences, and as this knowledge could be applied to understanding human orgins and development.

Wenner-Gren began organizing and holding its first sympoia in the 1950s.  Following "International Symposium on Anthropology" in 1952, then "Man's Role in Shaping the Face of the Earth" held in 1956, the Foundation began to hone its symposium format when it purchased Burg Wartenstein in Austria and, in 1958, established it as the Foundation's European Conference Center.

1952

1956

1958

1959

 

Return to the "Cumulative List of Wenner-Gren Symposia" main page.